The beauty about a breakfast scramble is that there is plenty of room for error. Breakfast scrambles are also very easy to customize to your liking! You can add any vegetables like carrots, spinach, mushrooms (one of my favorites), kale, zucchini (another great flavor!), broccoli, and the list could go on forever. The flavor combinations are endless! You can also add beans like white great northern beans, or black beans, and kidney beans are great too! Today, we're going to focus on the basics: potatoes, quinoa, and tofu. I love this recipe because it's very simple, yet so delicious. The savory flavors dance on your taste buds like a traditional potato-filled breakfast should. This meal is also great for after your morning workout because of all the protein it has to replenish your muscles. In fact, the combination of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates keep you full and will provide you with ample energy until your next meal.
- 1/4 cup Quinoa
- 1/4 cup Vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 TB Vegan Butter
- 1 TB Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1/8 tsp. (a pinch-or to taste) Black Pepper
- Follow the liquid to grain ratio that your quinoa package suggestions, however your liquids should approximately be double your grain amount. So, bring 1/4 cup vegetable stock and a 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small pot.
- Once you see bubbles, add the 1/4 cup dry quinoa. Let the quinoa boil for a minute, then lower the heat to simmer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and cover the pot.
- Stir occasionally until liquids are soaked up, then turn the heat off, leaving the pot cover on until you add the quinoa to the breakfast scramble.
Breakfast Scramble Ingredients:
- 1/2 lbs. or two handfuls of fingerling potatoes (any small/thin potatoes should be fine).
- 3 TB Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Salt (add more at the end of cooking if you feel it needs it).
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Paprika
- Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 TB Vegan Butter
- 2 TB Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Block of Pressed Tofu (Use either paper towel or kitchen towels that will not transfer small fibers on to the tofu. Place heavy objects or plates on top of the tofu to press the liquids out of it, using the cloth to absorb the liquid).
- 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley
Breakfast Scramble Instructions
- Slice the potatoes very thin so that they cook quickly. Add sliced potatoes to a medium-large sized non-stick pan with 3 table spoons of olive oil. Make sure the oil is hot before placing the potatoes in the pan. Cook the potatoes for about 3 minutes.
- Add the seasonings cumin, paprika, pepper, and salt to the potatoes. Make sure to coat the potatoes thoroughly. Cook for another few minutes.
- If the potatoes start to stick, add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter.
- Turn the heat down to below medium (still sizzling, but not frying) and add the lemon juice and chopped garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Add the whole block of tofu to the pan and roughly chop it with your spatula, mixing the tofu into the potatoes. Cook this for about 5 -10 minutes but make sure that the tofu doesn't stick.
- Now, mix the quinoa and parsley into the breakfast scramble and cook this for an additional minute or so until the mix is thoroughly coated with the spices.
- Enjoy your breakfast scramble with a side of toast! My favorite is toast with hummus, sriracha, and avocado. Let us know how you like it!